Qualifying begins: 26 June

The Draw: 30 June

Pre-event Press Conferences: 1 & 2 July

Order of Play: 2 July

Championships begin: 3 July

COME BACK FOR LIVE SCORES & LIVE BLOG FROM 26 JUNE

Menu
Wimbledon.com uses cookies.
We use simple text files called cookies, saved on your computer, to help us deliver the best experience for you. Click continue to acknowledge that you are happy to receive cookies from Wimbledon.com.
CONTINUE > Find out more
News
Monday, 30 October 2017 13:00 PM GMT
Wozniacki beats Venus to claim title
Wimbledon.com rounds up the final day of action at the WTA Finals. READ MORE

Wozniacki scales new heights

Caroline Wozniacki claimed the biggest title of her career by beating Venus Williams 6-4, 6-4 to win the WTA Finals for the first time.

Having lost all of her previous seven meetings with Williams, the Dane finally recorded her maiden triumph over the American courtesy of a magnificent performance that was in keeping with her level throughout the week in Singapore.

From the moment she stepped on court on Monday, Wozniacki has looked right at home in the Singapore Indoor Stadium, with the slower conditions aiding her well-documented powers of retrieval.

But the new world No.3 also backed up her defensive capabilities with an efficient offense, finishing the tournament with 89 winners and 50 unforced errors to her name - a remarkable margin given the stature of her opponents.

And Williams was certainly an opponent of the highest quality, as well as one that has dictated proceedings against Wozniacki in the past. But the American never once held a lead on Sunday, and faltered in the crucial moments to hand the steadier Wozniacki victory.

The first set saw Wozniacki pegged back twice after breaking, but the crucial game came with Williams serving to stay in the set at 4-5. Having just broken back courtesy of four down-the-line winners, she appeared to have momentum on her side, but her forehand suddenly broke down, and Wozniacki capitalised to claim just her second ever set against Williams.

Losing the opener appeared to rock Williams, as Wozniacki accelerated away for a 5-0 lead. But just as the Dane looked set to seal victory with her fourth bagel set of the week, Williams recovered for 5-4, and an unlikely comeback was in the offing.

Wozniacki, though, steeled herself to withstand Williams' charge, and although she saw one match point go begging, she converted the second to take the title.

"I'm really proud of how I have played all week and how I have fought and how I really produced some great fighting out there," said Wozniacki after the match.

"To be here with the trophy means a lot, and it's a great way to finish off the year.

"I was hoping that if I’m going to beat her, at least once in my career, it has to be today. I just went out there and I just did my best."

Purchase Towels